Tuesday, March 28, 2006

do you ever wake up screaming in the night?

I do because this team didn't win the NCAA tournament title. They taught me how to love again and then ripped my heart was ripped out and kicked off the second story balcony of my crappy rental apartment.

Never again will we see a team so dominant over its opposition - they were the arc of the covenant and the other team was the Nazi's. If I had to invade the Death Star I would choose Duke's 2001 Championship team. But if I needed to crush the rebellion on the ice planet Hoth these were the guys.

By the way here is what I did during that fateful championship game loss:

1.) Paced around apartment complex for two hours.
2.) Screamed a primal rage, that even scared myself, when Trajon Langdon kept Duke in the game with a three.
3.) Collapsed on the floor and didn't move for 45 minutes after game ended.
4.) Called my father and brother - here is the conversation - me: "That sucked" - them "That sucked." - Click

I prefer to remember the glory from that season when I can - like Corey Maggette breaking a Carolina players ankles so bad on a crossover dunk that they had to put the guy to sleep like they do horses.

No comments: