Sunday, July 16, 2006

oh that's right I do love America



it's been hard for me to root for the United States lately - what with that little war in Iraq, and the fact that United States sports team seem to be completely unlikable. For instance U.S.A. basketball has for years represented everything aesthetically wrong with the game; and rooting for the States in soccer seems totally besides the point. Cheering for the U.S. in soccer is like rooting for El Loco to rock you harder than ZZ Top.
And if I had enough interest to care I'm sure I would have rooted against the U.S. in the world baseball classic but like 98% of the rest of the country I ranked the "classic" somewhere below a non-major golf tournament in sporting importance. That importance ranking would look something like this:

1. Buick Invitational Classic
2. Professional Bass Fishing
3. NCAA Women's softball
4. World Baseball Classic
5. Dungeons & Dragons

To be fair the above rankings are a lie. I would much rather watch NCAA softball than bass fishing.

Of course the main reason to hate team U.S.A. is because since 1980 at whatever sport you are watching you will hear the constant chant of "U.S.A., U.S.A., U.S.A.!!!" by fans of this country. No wonder the rest of the world thinks we're a little slow. If fans of Falkland Island sports - chanted "F.A.I., F.A.I., F.A.I." at every event they went to over the last 26 years wouldn't we have somewhat of a lower opinion of them?

Anyways what I'm trying to say is I'm actually excited and rooting for this new edition of team U.S.A. basketball. . .and nothing is going to stop me now. Expect a player-by-player preview over the next 15-29 months!!

No comments: