Saturday, April 29, 2006

advice to America: take a valium . . .now

A film named "Loose Change" about September 11 conspiracies (including a most certainly erroneous theory on the Pentagon not being destroyed by Flight 77 but by a U.S. launched missile) has been brought to my attention in numerous ways lately.

ESPN is showing 10 hours of NFL Draft coverage (including a perhaps unnecessary pre-draft show).

I remember being told years ago about two elementary school students who were on Flight 77. They had won a National Geographic contest and were flying from D.C. to California.

I remember realizing years ago that Charley Casserly was not a very good NFL general manager. See: Washington Redskins, decline of.

I don't think there was a 9/11 conspiracy. I think Donald Rumsfeld is incompetent and should be fired but I don't believe he plotted to brutally murder fellow citizens. I think conspiracy theories help us avoid the anxiety involving the randomness and banality associated with terrible events. Those two kids died that day. That was real it happened.

I think drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush might be a mistake but perhaps the nation (and by nation I mean sport bloggers and assorted media types) as a whole should relax a little bit in this instance about everything.

No comments: